Saturday, January 27, 2007

Writing Blog v. Writing Book

Writing here is so much more fun than writing in my book. What I write in this little paragraph or two or twelve doesn't have to connect to the earlier or later stuff, doesn't have to build the character or progress the plot. I don't have to worry about re-using a reference to Buffy or about pumping new blood into a tired metaphor.

I say that because right now, I'm in the midst of a new book. I'm sitting in one of my favorite local wi-fi cafes, sipping tea and writing. I've just finished Chapter Eight for the second time.

Two chapter eights? What kind of new construction is that? What I mean is this: I wrote the first three chapters, sent them to my agent, and got encouragement to continue. As I plodded into the next five chapters, I knew I was in the weeds. I sent him those first eight chapters and he (patient soul) read through all that nonsense, gave me direct, concise, constructive notes and sent me back to my keyboard.

So. I re-wrote as far as Chapter Seven and sent it to him -- partly so that I could have an excuse to stop writing and just take care of holiday stuff. See what a patient soul he is? Got the greenlight to continue have completed one more chapter. So, here I am with all of the NYU students, buying over-priced caffeine while I plug into my iPod and laptop.

Opportunities to write are tough to come by in my universe, so I make the most of them.

On to Chapter Nine.

2 comments:

emigre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emigre said...

Loved your book, can't wait for Women in Hats.

librarything.com/profile_reviews.php?view=emigre